Sunday, January 29, 2012

Flat Bread

Today I applied the knowledge I have been acquiring baking bread to make something different. My bread books have recipes for pizza but as with all of the recipes in the book they require an overnight fermentation, so I went off on my own.

The recipe is essentially the same as the french bread recipe, but it has less yeast and adds a bit of sugar. Then I followed the same procedure I would have used if I was making a loaf of french bread, but when I got to the point where I would have put the loaf in the fridge I just left it on the counter to continue rising. This gets things done in a few hours, but in theory sacrifices some flavor. I guess I will have to try it again with the overnight fermentation to see if it really makes a difference.

   
Yes the cheese is yellow...I decided to try making pizza pretty late in the afternoon and only had cheddar cheese in the fridge, but...I also had some sopresatta in the fridge. All in all it was a pretty good pizza and I figure it only cost me about $2.

No comments:

Post a Comment