Thursday, January 5, 2012

Batch #3

Everyday this week I have heard..."When are you making more bread?" So tonight I gave in and started a new batch. The book has a suggested variation for the french bread I made last time, so I figured I would give it a try. The change is to mix up the dough then let the bread proof at room temperature for 90 minutes, instead of parking it in the fridge. After it proofs, you shape the loafs, then figure out how to put two loaves of bread in the fridge. Now you need to find a nice comfy spot where they can double in size without smashing into something, and it would probably be a bad thing for stuff to fall on them...anyway if they survive the fridge, the nagging should end sometime tomorrow evening. Oh and something to take note of...shaping cold dough is quite a bit easier than shaping warm dough.


I haven't decided if I will just bake both loaves at the same time or save one for Sunday morning. Something that I eventually want to try is cooking a loaf in my Big Green Egg cooker. If you are not familiar with the "Egg", it is a wood fired ceramic grill/smoker/oven. In other words it should work pretty much like a real hearth style oven. The main concern is making sure that the bread doesn't get overwhelmed by smokiness. In theory the amount of time it will take to get all of the thermal mass heated up to around 550 degrees will burn off the smoke. And really once it is heated up enough the fire could be snuffed out and the bread would still bake from the radiant heat. Maybe I will pick up some charcoal this weekend and cook one of these loaves outside...


No comments:

Post a Comment