Friday, January 6, 2012

Batch #3-1

At around 7:30 PM this evening the nagging stopped...we had a loaf of fresh french bread, a couple hours later there is less than 1/4 of the loaf left. Based on that I think this french bread recipe is a winner. I don't think that proofing the loafs in the fridge made any significant change to the crust and crumb, but it did make the baking bit pretty easy. When I got home from work I took the loaf out of the fridge and set it on the counter, and turned on the oven. An hour later the bread was baking. So in theory I could arrange for someone to take the dough out of the fridge and fire up the oven while I am driving home and speed things up even more...

Anyway, keeping in mind that the goal is to eventually "master" one of these recipes, this one is for sure a potential candidate. Thinking about it now though, ideally there will be two recipes that I attempt to master. One recipe that uses commercial yeast (like this one) and one sourdough. Of course making sourdough will depend on get a starter to start...more on that at some other time.

And it has already started up again..."When are you making more bread? This one is almost gone..."

<imagine a picture of the empty cutting board here>

No comments:

Post a Comment